Beginning October 2020, Georgia now offers both the HiSET® exam and GED® test to qualifying individuals. Both tests allow you to earn your high school equivalency credential. The HiSET® exam is one of three tests (GED, HiSET, and TASC) U.S. states and territories use to measure high school equivalency (HSE) skills. Educational Testing Services (ETS) works closely with states to ensure the HiSET® exam closely reflects the skills of a high school graduate and to provide a fair, rigorous exam.
HiSET® Quick Facts & Resources
- HiSET® preparation classes are free.
- Scholarships are available to assist with HiSET® Testing fees.
- View a list of currently open HiSET testing centers for computer-based testing in Georgia.
- The HiSET@Home is available to take from home 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. To view the differences between the HiSET® Computer-Based Test and HiSET@Home, click here.
- View all of the policies and requirements for taking the HiSET® in Georgia on the ETS website.
- Technical College System of Georgia HiSET website
COVID-19 Testing Requirements in Georgia
The following form is required each time you enter a testing center during the COVID-19 pandemic. There are form options available in English and in Spanish. Students 16 and 17 years of age are considered under-age and must have the consent of a parent or guardian to test. Parents and guardians should complete the form on behalf of the under-age student and sign on the designated line provided.
Frequently Asked Questions about the HiSET® Exam
What is the HiSET exam?
The HiSET® exam is an affordable, accessible high school equivalency test option for out-of-school youth and adults without a high school diploma to demonstrate their skills and knowledge and earn a state-issued high school equivalency credential. The five subject area tests are:
- Language Arts – Reading
- Language Arts – Writing
- Social Studies
Is there a fee to take the HiSET Exam?
Who is eligible to take the HiSET exam?
The HiSET exam can only be administered to individuals who:
- Are at least 16 years of age* (*16 and 17 year olds must enroll in a state-approved adult education program and receive approval to test. Contact your local Adult Education Center for more information.)
- Have not graduated from an accredited high school
- Are not currently enrolled in a regular high school; and
- Can provide a valid photo ID (driver’s license, state identification card, military ID or Passport).
When will I receive my transcript and/or diploma?
Graduates should expect to receive credentials in the mail within 2-3 weeks from the test date.
How do I get official transcripts or duplicate diplomas?
See Request GaHSE Transcript to request official transcripts or duplicate diplomas.
What can I do once I receive my HiSET diploma in Georgia?
The HiSET diploma is one type of high school equivalency offered in Georgia. Many employers recognize the HiSET diploma as a high school equivalency credential. HiSET graduates may also attend technical college with free tuition if you enroll in one of the 17 areas funded by the HOPE Career Grant. Visit here for detailed information on HOPE Career Grant programs.
How can I take the HiSET exam during the COVID-19 pandemic?
To meet the needs of test takers who can’t test at a test center because of public health concerns, ETS is offering the HiSET@Home option. With the HiSET@Home option, you can take any of the five subtests that make up the HiSET exam on your own computer at home or in another secure location. Each subtest delivered at home has the same content, format and on-screen experience as the test you would take at a test center. Your at-home appointment will be monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®. Currently, at-home appointments are available 15 hours a day, seven days a week. For more information on the HiSET@Home, click here. The fee for each subject area test is $36.25 with two retests within 12 months at $25.50 each. To view the differences between the HiSET® Computer Based Testing (CBT) and HiSET Exam at Home, click here.
What are the differences between the HiSET exam and GED test?
Both the GED test and HiSET exam are recognized high school equivalency credentials in Georgia. For a comparison of the GED test and HiSET exam, view this resource.