Georgia Piedmont Technical College is approved to participate in and administer Veteran’s Education programs. You play a primary role in securing your Education Benefits related to your status prior to your enrollment. It is your responsibility to ensure your veteran or military education benefit funding is secure.
The veterans affairs coordinator and veterans affairs team are here to assist with:
- Applying for GI Bill Benefits
- Certification of GI Bill Benefits
- Veterans Resource Advocate assistance
- VA Financial Aid Specialist Advisement
- Referrals to appropriate campus and community veteran resources
- Academic and career counseling
VA education benefits are available under the following programs:
Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter 35 – Survivors’ & Dependents’ Education Assistance
Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
- Apply and be admitted to Georgia Piedmont Technical College. Submit all Admissions documents to complete your file.
- Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs to determine eligibility and activate your education benefits. We also recommend that you register with eBenefits.
- Complete the Veteran Information Form.
- Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) you’ve obtained from the VA. You can request a copy of your COE to be emailed to email@example.com.
- Get Advised and Registered for your first term. Depending on which chapter you are using, there may be a minimum number of credits that you must register for.
Programs eligible for certification:
Georgia Piedmont Technical College can only certify for certificate, diploma, or degree programs that are approved and are listed in the GPTC Catalog.
Continuation of Benefits:
All certifications will be completed after drop/add, but within 30 days of the first day of the term. This is to ensure that the VA can begin processing your books and housing money in a timely manner. You will receive notification from us and from the VA when your enrollment has been reported and processed.
You MUST notify the school Certifying Official if you:
-Used all of your Veteran Educational Benefits
-Change course load or Program of Study
-Withdraw from classes (after start of term)
-Terminate enrollment (before start of term)
If you have used your VA Education benefits at another institution and you want to transfer your benefits to GPTC, you must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form through VONAPP: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/vonapp
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you receive your VA Certificate of Eligibility, submit your COE to the VA Certifying Official by emailing email@example.com.
- Only courses REQUIRED for your degree program or certificate will be paid for by the VA. Certification is made at the end of the Add/Drop period every semester. Meet with your Program Advisor every semester to choose courses prior to registration. Courses not required for your program of study will not be paid for by the VA. This can affect your BAH eligibility/amount and the amount paid to Georgia Piedmont Technical College.
- We will not submit certification for classes that you have passed previously, audit classes, or classes that you have received transfer credits.
- You must inform the VA Certifying Official ASAP of any changes in your class schedule, degree program, address, phone number, and email address. Failure to do so could result in over payments by the VA for post 9/11, which will be billed to the student. This may not be reflected for a considerable time (as much as one year).
- Veterans in chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 must check in with the VA on the last day of each month to get paid. Please contact the VA at: 877.823.2378 OR gibill.va.gov/wave.
- For questions such as: ‘when will I receive my check?’ or ‘how will changing my credit load change my monthly check?’ call 888.442.4551 or va.gov.