Are you fascinated by the law and our judicial system? As a paralegal, you'll have the chance to a part of legal proceedings and pursue a rewarding career in any number of specialties – from family law to criminal matters. Our Paralegal Studies degree program includes the academic, technical and professional skills you ‘ll need to assist attorneys in legal matters. Plus, you'll complete an internship to gain practical experience even before you graduate.
The ABA approved Paralegal Studies Program at Georgia Piedmont Technical College seeks to educate students for positions as paralegals as a means of improving the quality, accessibility, and affordability of legal services. Paralegals provide an invaluable service to the legal profession, and despite the uncertainty in today’s economy, the paralegal profession has remained a strong source of job opportunities.
Our courses present unique opportunities for students through focused and specialized education including methods of instruction that satisfy individual learning styles. Courses emphasize effective, high-quality teaching and learning while helping students to develop strong oral and written communication skills. The rules and laws governing the conduct of paralegals are stressed across the curriculum so to help the students develop the high ethical values and behaviors expected of the profession.
The paralegal studies program has the following stated goals and objectives as adopted by the Technical College System of Georgia Instructional Faculty Consortium Committee:
- Utilize appropriate legal terminology in written and oral communication.
- Produce legal documents.
- Apply legal concepts to factual situations.
- Conduct legal research.
- Compose a legal argument.
- Dedicated teaching staff with over 80 years of experience in a wide variety of legal fields and settings
- An Advisory Committee of legal experts committed to regularly reviewing the program, the curriculum and student achievement
- Chapter of LEX, Lambda Epsilon Chi, the national paralegal honor society
- Paralegal Alliance, a student run organization dedicated to local civic endeavors
- Students receive hands-on instruction in practical skills such and legal research and document drafting.
- Morning, afternoon, and evening classes available
- Utilization of the ANGEL Online Learning platform
***Please note that all students who wish to enter the Paralegal program (before starting Paralegal program courses) must attend an Information Session. Information sessions are scheduled a number of times each semester. Please contact the Program Director for more information.
Judge (ret.) J. Virgil Costley, Jr., Program Director
404.297.9522, ext. 5309
Unauthorized Practice of Law
The goal of the Paralegal Studies Program is to train students in legal theory, analytical, communication and adaptation of skills. Paralegals shall not engage in the unauthorized practice of law as proscribed by the Official Code of Georgia, 15-19-51 and must work under the supervision and direction of an attorney in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia.