Basic Skills & GED® Preparation
2011-2012 Program Year
Free Instructional Classes
Georgia Piedmont Tech - Community Education Center
Georgia Piedmont Tech - DeKalb Campus
DeKalb Workforce Development
Regional Transportation Training Center
Georgia Piedmont Tech - Newton Campus
Rockdale Career Academy
What types of classes are offered?
- GED Preparation Classes
- Basic Skills classes in reading, math, and language/writing
- Fast Track (must qualify)
- Distance Learning (must qualify)
- Springboard (referral only)
- Math Mastery (referral only)
What types of learning techniques are utilized?
- Instructor facilitated, self-paced, individualized instruction using textbooks
- Instructor facilitated computer instruction
- Group class instruction in math, reading, and language/writing
Is there a fee for the classes?
- NO, all classes are free. Books are provided for students to use in class but cannot be taken home or written in.
Who can enroll?
- Ages 20 and older.
- Ages 18 and 19 with ID and a withdrawal from the last school attended
- Ages 16 and 17 with ID, a withdrawal form from the last high school attended, and Special Needs for Underage forms which include parent permission and request to enroll in Adult Education classes
Where and when are classes available?
- Classes are offered in four counties: DeKalb, Newton, Rockdale, and Morgan.
- DeKalb and Newton Counties offer day and evening classes. DeKalb County also offers a Saturday class.
- Morgan County offers day classes.
- Rockdale County offers evening classes.
How can I enroll?
- All students MUST attend a registration/placement test/orientation session. Please call the Adult Education location you are interested in attending for new student registration schedule.
- Space is limited at some locations.
How long will it take to prepare for the GED test?
- Because the program is individualized, the length of preparation depends on each student's abilities, starting level, attendance, and motivation.