Basic Skills & GED® Preparation
2015-2016 Program Year
Free Instructional Classes
Georgia Piedmont Tech – DeKalb Campus
Georgia Piedmont Tech – South DeKalb Campus
DeKalb Workforce Development
Georgia Piedmont Tech – Newton Campus
Rockdale Career Academy
What types of classes are offered?
- GED Preparation Classes
- Basic Skills classes in reading, math, and language/writing
- Fast Track (must qualify)
- Distance Learning (must qualify)
- Springboard (referral only)
- Math Mastery (referral only)
What types of learning techniques are utilized?
- Instructor facilitated, self-paced, individualized instruction using textbooks
- Instructor facilitated computer instruction
- Group class instruction in math, reading, and language/writing
Is there a fee for the classes?
- NO, all classes are free. Books are provided for students to use in class but cannot be taken home or written in.
Who can enroll?
- Ages 18 and older with a valid government issued picture ID.
- Ages 16 and 17 with withdrawal form or letter from last school attended, a valid picture ID with proof of age, and the Underage Youth Application for Program Enrollment and Permission to Take the GED® Test form
Where and when are classes available?
- Classes are offered in four counties: DeKalb, Newton, Rockdale, and Morgan.
- DeKalb and Newton Counties offer day and evening classes. DeKalb County also offers a Saturday class.
- Morgan County offers day classes.
- Rockdale County offers evening classes.
How can I enroll?
- All students MUST attend a registration/placement test/orientation session. Please call 404-297-9522 Ext. 4000 for new student registration schedule.
- Space is limited at some locations.
How long will it take to prepare for the GED test?
- Because the program is individualized, the length of preparation depends on each student's abilities, starting level, attendance, and motivation.